By Emeka Dennar and Zazi Bariza
Sunday Oliseh has expressed satisfaction with his side’s performance in the 1-1 draw against Tunisia at the on-going Championships for African Nations (CHAN) in Rwanda.

Chisom Chikatara’s 52 minute cool finish, his 4th in the tournament, was cancelled out by Ahmed Akaichi as the home-based Super Eagles were held by the Carthage Eagles.

Speaking after the match, the Super Eagles coach praised his young team for their hardwork and the result that ensured Nigeria remained unbeaten after two matches.

“I’m very happy with my team’s performance. They gave their best,” the former Super Eagles captain told naijafootball247.com.

He continued: “the changes we made brought us the lead but just one error too much, otherwise; we would have qualified for the quarter finals today.”

The draw against Tunisia means Nigeria retained leadership of Group C with 4 points from two matches. Guinea and Tunisia are second and third respectively with two points apiece while Niger are rock-bottom with just a solitary point.

Speaking of his side’s chances of qualifying for the last 8, Oliseh remained confident that the Eagles can get a result that will see them through to the knockout stages of the 2016 CHAN ahead of their last Group encounter against Guinea in Gisenyi on Tuesday, 26 January.

“We feel like we lost two points but at the same time, we are also en route to qualify and maybe, even top the group. That is what we are looking at,” Oliseh stated.

Eagles Tunisia Report

Nigeria’s Super Eagles surrendered a one goal lead to end their second group game of the 2016 African Nations Championship against Tunisia one goal apiece.

The Eagles came into the game with the knowledge that a win would ensure their passage to the quarterfinal, but it was the North African who showed attacking intent in the early stages.

Nigeria soon settled into the game and created chances of their own. Midfielder Usman Mohammed played tournament’s top scorer, Chisom Chikatara through but the previous game’s hat trick hero was tardy on the turn and was soon dispossessed by the Tunisian defence.

Ifeanyi Matthew’s dangerous low cross inside Tunisia’s box almost resulted in an own goal but the Cartage Eagles goalkeeper was in place for a save.

On the other end, Ahmed Akaichi was a torn in the Nigerian backline, forcing goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa into two vital saves.

The big moment, however came in the last minute of the first half when Akaichi connected a cross from the left to find the back of the net, but his effort was wrongly ruled out.

At half time, Nigeria’s coach Sunday Oliseh was once again very decisive in making changes as Kalu Orji was brought on for the sluggish Stephen Ezeh.

Chisom Chikatara soon capitalized on pass from Osas Okoro to give Nigeria the lead in the 52nd minute. It was the “Kola nut Boy’s” fourth goal of the tournament following his opening day’s hat trick against Niger.

Moments later, Nigeria would have doubled their lead but Ifeanyi Matthew’s effort was no way near target.

After a good spell of Tunisian pressure, the North Africans got a well-deserved equalizer in the 72nd minute through danger man Akaichi.

Just after, Nigeria’s Kalu Orji was forced to clear another goal bound effort from Akaichi off the line.

Both sides created few more chances, but in the end, points were shared and the two sides will have to wait for their final group games to know their fate.

Share on Google Plus

About xxx

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.


Post a Comment