NPFL Match day 1 Round up: Victor Yakubu gets first brace

Wikki Tourists’ attacker, Victor Yakubu got the first brace of the league as his two goals ensured newly promoted Wikki tourists beat another newly promoted side, Shooting Stars 2-0 in Bauchi

Yakubu scored in the 6th and 56th minutes of the game, the second goal a penalty.

In Benin, where Bayelsa United have chosen to play their home games, the home side forced Lobi Stars to a draw. The encounter ended 1-1.

Obioma Arinze put Lobi Stars ahead in the 43rd minute and Eric Frimpong drew level for the home side with 20 minutes left on the clock.

Opening day boredom

But the opening day of the season caused more moments to fall asleep in the stands than excitement.

After one hundred and eighty minutes of football, no goals were scored.

First Dolphins and Kwara United engaged the fans in a 90 minute bore fest and then the game between Sharks and Sunshine had a similar score line.

The few moments of excitements in the first game came out of the visitors who could have easily won if not for the efforts of Sunday Rotimi in goal.

“It wasn’t a bad game,” Dolphins coach, Stanley Eguma said.

“It wasn’t as good a game as we expected too. The opponents did well and we must thank our goalkeeper Sunday Rotimi for a good job. Sometimes you win and others you don’t. We take it in good faith and plan for subsequent matches,” Stanley Eguma said.

Kwara United’s coach, Tunde Abdulrahman rather complained about the fact that he could not register all his players before the game.

“I first thank God for getting a draw, but my team could only get 16 registered players out of thirty five.

“The boys played well though and I must thank God for getting a draw,” Abdulrahman said.

Still in Port Harcourt, Sharks were unable to get past Sunshine Stars as that encounter also ended barren.

After the drab encounter, Sharks assistant coach, Ere Dokubu said it was a fair result for his side.

“It wasn’t a bad one. Even if we actually wanted to win, nature has its own way,” Dokubo said.

Sunshine Stars Technical director Paul Ashworth said he was disappointed with the result but believes they can do better in their next game.

“When you start a season, naturally, no team wants to lose and I think that showed in this game. Obviously it wasn’t our best game, but it’s our first game and to get an away point I’m disappointed because I wanted to get three points,” Ashworth said.

Ikhana not happy with poor showing

Enyimba International of Aba failed to impress their fans at the Enyimba International as they recorded a poor start to the season after being held to a 0-0 draw by Akwa United.

The 6-time champions Enyimba squandered a lot of scoring chances as they were held to a goalless draw by visiting Akwa United.

Daniel Etor, Chinonso Okonkwo and last season’s highest goal scorer, Mfon Udoh were all wasteful in front of goal as the Uyo-based side ran away with a point before a capacity crowd at the Enyimba International stadium.

After the match, technical adviser of Enyimba, Kadiri Ikhana lamented the missed chances by his boys.

“It was not a difficult game. We had all the chances. My boys played better, we just failed to score.

“We will continue with the league and hope to pick these lost points away from home,” Ikhana said

Head coach of Akwa United Zachary Baraje was not carried away with the result saying he never prepared specially for his former club, Enyimba.

“This match cannot determine who wins the league or who will be relegated. The match means nothing more to me than what it really is, and it is just one road game that we got a point. Remember, Enyimba has their own internal problems so maybe that affected them and gave us the result,” Baraje said.

In Jalingo, FC Taraba were lucky to get all three points at stake, beating Rangers International 3-2.

It was Bobby Abel who scored first in the 14th minute for FC Taraba before Senegal born Pierre Coly drew level in the 28th minute.

Abdulmalik Mohammed put the homers in from two minutes after the break via a penalty before Nura Mohammed made it 3-1 in the 65th minute.

Rangers upped the ante, pulling one back in the 88th minute when Samuel Agba scored but they could not do more than that and the game ended 3-2 in favour of FC Taraba

In Nnewi, new boys, Gabros FC, now renamed Ifeanyi Uba FC thrashed Warri Wolves 2-0 with Michael Onuoha scoring the first goal of the league in the 4th minute before Onyekachi Nwaiwu made it 2-0 in the 90th minute.

The game between FC Giwa and Abia Warriors ended 0-0 while Abraham Audu’s lone strike in the 40th minute was all El Kanemi FC needed to beat Nasarawa United 1-0.

Share on Google Plus

About xxx

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.


Post a Comment